US Army Retired

US Army Retired

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Internet

 
(Awesome, isn't it?)

 
I was going to title this “Addiction to the Internet” and rethought that. Then, I wondered if “Dependence on the Internet” would be more appropriate.

It all came about the other evening when I was going through my final internet activity of the day and my browser suddenly froze. I waited, thinking it was just too busy. And then, I closed and reopened that browser and two others I regularly use.

Nothing.

And then I did what I should have at first, I looked at the modem. Horror of horrors, all but one light were out. Gone. I unplugged the power and waited five minutes. The first lights came on one by one and then – nothing. Back to just one light.

Is it my modem? Has it gone oops on me already. It's far less than a year old.

So, I removed the USB cord from the back, along with the power cord, and figured I'd fire it up in the morning.

And then, I mused, “What will I do if I can't connect to the net tomorrow? What will I do?”

Now I wonder.

Am I addicted?

the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

Or am I dependent?

1. relying on someone or something else for aid, support, etc.

2. conditioned or determined by something else; contingent:
Our trip is dependent on the weather.

3. subordinate; subject:

In other words, what on earth am I going to do without being able to surf the web?

The thought terrified me. How can I write without availability of dictionaries, thersarsi, maps, and so on? Am I actually going to have to pay attention to the boob tube? It's too hot to go outside.

And the other things we do on the net that we sort of forget about.

Online banking. Knowing what's in your accounts and on your credit/debit cards. Paying bills. Shopping. And all the rest.

How about you? What would you do without being able to access the net on your PC, or cellphone, or other?


No comments:

Post a Comment